DEVELOPMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY OF LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION
PSICOLOGIA DELLO SVILUPPO, DEL LINGUAGGIO E DELLA COMUNICAZIONE
|Lecturer||Office hours for students|
|Carmen Belacchi||wednesday hours: 10-11|
Assigned to the Degree Course
|Date||Time||Classroom / Location|
The course aims to provide students with theoretical and methodological knowledges regarding the language as a specific means of construction-sharing of mental representations and therefore as a mover of cognitive development. Neuro-biological bases of linguistic capcity and the main phases of language acquisition will be provided both at an oral and written level in typical and atypical individuals. Monographic issue: the role of definitional competence, as metalinguistic ability allowing the reflection and explicitation of words' meaning; the psychological factors implied in the definitional competence construction; A definitional scale for assessing the competence in defining words.
I. Introduction - Origin and evolution of thelanguage and words. Methods and models for anlysis of the language. Main theories on the language development: Lexis, morphology and syntax. Spoken and written language in typical and atypical development
II. Interpersonal and intrapsychical functions of the language: from the description of reality to construction and organization of thought and with reference to the language itself and also to the construction of self-identity.
III Defining words: construction and analysis of meaning- Typologies of definitions- Definitional competences (from the first studies to more recent models)- Psychological factors implicated in defining competences- Development of defininitional competences in typical and atypical populations- The role of categorical and schematic representations on the Verbal Working Memory
Learning Achievements (Dublin Descriptors)
As far as learning achievements are corcerned, the students
1. should display the mastering of the fundamental knowledge, both theoretical and methdological, ranging from understanding basic disciplinary concepts to abilities to use them in order to analyze and interpret language and communicative development according to different main scientific approaches to the discipline.
2. should be able to critically compare, one with the other, the more relevant theoterical models charaterizing communicative and linguistic development in typical and atypical populations .
3. in particular, should be able to use specific instrument for assessing definitional competence
The teaching material prepared by the lecturer in addition to recommended textbooks (such as for instance slides, lecture notes, exercises, bibliography) and communications from the lecturer specific to the course can be found inside the Moodle platform › blended.uniurb.it
Teaching, Attendance, Course Books and Assessment
No compulsory attendance
- Course books
- Belacchi C. e Benelli B. (2007), Il significato delle parole. La competenza definitoria nello sviluppo tipico e atipico, Il Mulino, Bologna (pp. 288)-
- Denes G. (2009), Parlare con la testa. Le basi neurobiologiche e la struttura del linguaggio, Zanichelli, Bologna (pp. 205)-
- Supplementary research articles published in scientific Journals are available on the moodle platform.
Additional Information for Non-Attending Students
Written exam with supplementary oral exam
The written exam consists in one open questions, aiming to verify the ability to master in a critical manner disciplinary theofretical concepts, and in a series of multiple choice questions aiming to verify the learning of conceptual and terminological notions.
The supplementary oral exam compulsory for students receiving a mark less than 27/30 is meant to complete the testing of the acquired competences.
|« back||Last update: 03/07/2016|