ECONOMIC ANALYSIS OF SOCIAL SERVICES AND PUBLIC POLICIES
ANALISI ECONOMICA DEI SERVIZI SOCIALI E DELLE POLITICHE PUBBLICHE
|Lecturer||Office hours for students|
|Leo Fulvio Minervini|
Assigned to the Degree Course
|Date||Time||Classroom / Location|
The aim of this course is to provide basic knowledge of government intervention into liberal economies, using a microeconomic approach, with regard to fundamental normative and positive issues of public expenditure. The focus is on economic analysis of public sector policies and services.
Contents of this course are:
- research questions and methods of public finance and public economics;
- basic knowledge of microeconomics;
- market failures: issues of efficiency and equity (with focus on public goods);
- public utilities and fiscal federalism;
- government intervention into the economy: instruments; socio-economic evaluations; pros and cons;
- public expenditure and welfare state, especially education, social services, health care services, pension schemes.
Learning Achievements (Dublin Descriptors)
At the end of this course, on the economic analysis of social services and public policies, students should be able to demonstrate basic knoledge of reasons and instruments of government intervention into liberal economies, especially with regard to the provision of social services. Students should also be able to understand and discuss the fundamental pros and cons of government intervention, its limits and trade-offs. It is also expected that students will develop basic abilities to analyze and evaluate collective and social issues from the economics perspective.
The teaching material prepared by the lecturer in addition to recommended textbooks (such as for instance slides, lecture notes, exercises, bibliography) and communications from the lecturer specific to the course can be found inside the Moodle platform › blended.uniurb.it
Students can request to sit the final exam in English, with an alternative reading list.
|« back||Last update: 08/09/2015|