QUALITY CONTROL OF DIETETIC ALIMENTARY PRODUCTS
CONTROLLO DI QUALITA' DEI PRODOTTI DIETETICI E ALIMENTARI
|Lecturer||Office hours for students|
|Lucia De Crescentini|
Assigned to the Degree Course
The course is aimed at furnishing to the students the knowledge of the basic laboratory techniques for the extraction, purification and analysis of the main food components.
The student, at the end of the course, must also be able to manage in autonomy, the proposed laboratory procedures and to approach to the interpretation of the spectra, particularly 1H-NMR, for the determination of the structure of unknown compounds.
Theory: lessons in the classroom
An outline of safety in the laboratory.
Glassware and little apparatuses usually employed in laboratory.
Purification and extraction techniques:
-crystallization and filtration;
-Solid-liquid and solvent-solvent extraction; examples of extraction and purification of active ingredients from alimentary substances;
-Liquid chromatography, thin layer chromatography (TLC) and column chromatography.
Quali- and quantitative determination of active principles by means of spectroscopic techniques:
-1H and 13C NMR, with particular reference to technical SNIF, used to detect adulterations and frauds in food.
-Determination of the structure of an unknown substance, using spectroscopic techniques.
Chemical composition of the milk and analysis techniques.
Practical part: experiences in laboratory
The laboratory part provides practice exercises that, depending on the number of the students, can be individual or in groups. The exercises will be carried out in order to address some of the topics presented in the theoretical part. Every exercise is preceded by an explanation of the procedure for the food samples proposed by the teacher. The completion of the exercises also includes the application of methods of qualitative and quantitative determination such as TLC, volumetry and spectrophotometry.
In order to take the exam of Extractive preparation and quality control of dietetic alimentary products, the students must have passed the examinations of:
-Chemistry And Biochemistry of foods
Learning Achievements (Dublin Descriptors)
• The student must show the possession of basic knowledge about general, inorganic and organic chemistry on the composition of food.
• The student must show an understanding of the concepts and theories furnished during the course, with particular reference to the basic techniques for the extraction and purification of organic substances from natural matrices.
• The student must show the possession of the ability to use knowledge and concepts of spectroscopy that will be provided during the course to determine the structure of an unknown compound.
• Students will then apply their skills to the recognition of frauds and food adulterations.
• The student must be able to communicate clearly its conclusions with a chemical language, as well as their knowledge.
• The student must have developed a learning ability that allows him to continue studying in a self-directed or autonomous way.
The teaching material prepared by the lecturer in addition to recommended textbooks (such as for instance slides, lecture notes, exercises, bibliography) and communications from the lecturer specific to the course can be found inside the Moodle platform › blended.uniurb.it
Didactics, Attendance, Course Books and Assessment
The course will be developed through a series of lessons about the theory of the examined topics and the frequency of a weekly practice lessons in the lab.
The attendance to the laboratory lessons is obligatory. The students can do only to absences. If the absences are due to the health problems, they could be certified by a doctor.
- Course books
Donald L. Pavia; Gary M. Lampman; Geroge S. Kriz “Il laboratorio di Chimica organica”, a cura di Paolo Grunanger e Donato Pocar; Edizioni Sorbona Milano. For consultation, F. Tateo “Analisi dei prodotti alimentari” Chiriotti Editori, Voll. 1 e 2. The teacher will furnish further informations about the didactic supplies, during the course.
Oral examination. If the number of the students enrolled for the examination will be high, it will be written.
|« back||Last update: 29/09/16|