ECONOMICS OF THE AGRICULTURAL AND FOOD SYSTEM
ECONOMIA DEL SISTEMA AGROALIMENTARE
|Lecturer||Office hours for students|
Assigned to the Degree Course
|Date||Time||Classroom / Location|
|Date||Time||Classroom / Location|
- To develop the knowledge of issues concerning the role of agriculture and the agri-food system in the process of economic development, the functioning and organization of the system agro-food and enterprises that are part of it;
- to deepen the theoretical and operational implications and deriving from the presence of market failures (externalities/public goods and transaction costs and information asymmetry);
- to develop knowledge of economic, political and institutional framework for the agri-food system, defined at international, European and national/regional levels;
- to provide the conceptual tools necessary for theoretical analysis and empirical issues of particular importance in the current economic debate, such as those relating to the effects of agricultural policies on international markets and to the role of the agri-food system in the preservation of the environment in the promotion of rural development and planning, as well as in the protection of human health.
Part I - The agri-food system
1. The agri-food system
2. The demand and supply of agri-food products
3. Market failure
Part II - The rules and policies for the agri-food system
4. The regulatory authorities of the agri-food trade at international level
5. The policies for the agri-food system
6. The agricultural policy of the European Union
7. The policies for food quality and safety
8. The policies for the sustainability of the agri-food system
9. Study themes
Learning Achievements (Dublin Descriptors)
Knowledge and understanding
Students will have to know the main theoretical economic models developed for the study of the agricultural sector and the agro-food system, the economic and institutional framework (international and European Union) for the agri-food system and the analysis (theoretical and empirical) on its role in the protection of natural resources in the development of rural areas and in health care.
Applying knowledge and understanding
Students must be able to make their own the fundamental concepts acquired during the course, to process them and apply them to concrete cases, within the context of businesses, markets, institutions and agroindustrial products.
At the end of the course, students will have acquired a good capacity for analysis of the topics covered and to carry out a critical evaluation of policies and strategies proposed to deal with the main issues of the agri-food system.
Students must know how to communicate the concepts and skills learned in a way that is clear, precise and with an adequate vocabulary. Furthermore they must be able to connect in them in unit schemes and integrate the knowledge acquired during the course.
Students must have acquired the capacity to undertake study paths subsequent and/or acquiring new knowledge, skills and abilities through the professional experiences and working conditions within the framework of organizations in the agri-food system and in its referent environment.
The teaching material prepared by the lecturer in addition to recommended textbooks (such as for instance slides, lecture notes, exercises, bibliography) and communications from the lecturer specific to the course can be found inside the Moodle platform › blended.uniurb.it
The teaching material prepared by the lecturer (such as for instance slides, lecture notes, exercises) and specific communications from the lecturer can be found, together with other supporting activities, inside the Moodle platform › blended.uniurb.it
Teaching, Attendance, Course Books and Assessment
The course provides the use of different teaching methods:
- class lessons;
- group work and drafting of papers on specific topics by students, subsequently presented and discussed in the classroom.
The evaluation takes place by means of the oral test, which lasts about 30 minutes.
Students who attend, taking into account their presentation in the classroom and discussion on the topic dealt with in the context of the group work, may acquire up to 3 bonus points at the end of the final evaluation.
Additional Information for Non-Attending Students
The evaluation takes place by means of the oral test, which lasts about 30 minutes
|« back||Last update: 24/09/2018|