DRUG ANALYSIS II
ANALISI DEI FARMACI II
|Lecturer||Office hours for students|
|Gianfranco Favi||from Monday to Friday after fixing an appointment by phone (0722 303444) or email|
|Teaching in foreign languages|
Course with optional materials in a foreign language
This course is entirely taught in Italian. Study materials can be provided in the foreign language and the final exam can be taken in the foreign language.
Assigned to the Degree Course
|Date||Time||Classroom / Location|
|Date||Time||Classroom / Location|
The course aims to provide skills and mastery of theoretical and practical quali- and quantitative chemical analysis of organic substances of pharmaceutical interest, recorded and not, in the European Pharmacopoeia (E.P.)
- State of matter and chemical-physical characteristics
- Solubility, dissolution process, types of solvents, structure-solubility relationships, solubility assay, pKa, solubility in acqueous environment at varying pH
- Determination of some physical-chemical constants: melting point, boiling point, melting point in the mixture
- Qualitative elemental analysis (C, H, N, S, P, X)
- Analysis of recognition of metal-organic compounds
- General assays and recognition of functional groups
- Scheme for the systematic identification of an unknown organic substance
- Structural determination of organic substances: elemental analysis, IR and UV-VIS spectroscopy
- Applications on organic substances of the acid-base, argentometric, complexometric, redox, iodometric and diazotization titration. Recognition essay and purity of the main pharmaceutical structures according to the monographs of F.U. and E.P.
Successfully passed the general and inorganic chemistry exam
Learning Achievements (Dublin Descriptors)
D1- KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING- Knowledge of traditional analytical techniques in organic and inorganic chemistry; understanding of more recent instrumental techniques of organic qualitative analysis applied to organic and inorganic substances. These skills will be assessed through the oral exam.
D2-APPLYING KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING- Applying traditional and instrumental analytical techniques to the determination of unknown compound belonging to the European Pharmacopoeia (E.P.). These skills will be assessed through the oral exam.
D3-AUTONOMY OF JUDGMENT- Acquisition of skills to undertake analysis of unknown substances as autonomously and independently as possible. These skills will be assessed through targeted oral application questions.
D4-COMMUNICATION- Development of communication skills suited to the presentation of the collected data during the analysis of unknown substances. Ability to report the results in an analytical and synthetic way. Ability to describe the principles and concepts learned during the course through appropriate language and with appropriate examples. These skills will be assessed both during the analysis of unknown substances carried out in the laboratory course and through the oral exam.
D5-LIFELONG LEARNING SKILLS- The student at the end of the course, will possess enough understanding and knowledge to perform qualitative analysis of unknown organic and inorganic compounds belonging to the European Pharmacopoeia (E.P.). Moreover, the student will be able to continuously updating his background through the study of the literature, database, etc.. These skills, as far as possible, will be stimulated by the teacher both during the analysis of unknown substances carried out in the laboratory course and through the oral exam.
The teaching material prepared by the lecturer in addition to recommended textbooks (such as for instance slides, lecture notes, exercises, bibliography) and communications from the lecturer specific to the course can be found inside the Moodle platform › blended.uniurb.it
Didactics, Attendance, Course Books and Assessment
Lectures and individual laboratory experiences
The frequency of laboratory experiences is mandatory. To gain access to the laboratory is necessary to have passed the exam of General and Inorganic Chemistry.
- Course books
- A. Carta, M. G. Mamolo, F. Novelli, S. Piras, Analisi Farmaceutica Qualitativa (Analisi qualitativa organica ed inorganica non strumentale), EdiSES Ed.
- For consultation: Brown Foote Iverson, Chimica Organica, EdiSES Ed. (II anno, Organic Chemistry I)
- D. G. Watson, Analisi Farmaceutica EdiSES Ed. (III anno, Drug Analysis III)
- Italian Pharmacopoeia X Ed.
Oral exam (description of the solubility and recognition/determination of the main functional groups in 4 substances of pharmaceutical interest treated during the theoretical/practical course, and open questions on the general analysis scheme); 20-50 min.
The frequency at lectures is strongly recommended
|« back||Last update: 09/09/2021|