|Dipartimento di Scienze Pure e Applicate (DiSPeA)||Urbino Via Ca' Le Suore, email@example.com|
My name is Mirko Francioni and this is a brief summary of my academic career.
My passion for Engineering Geology and Natural Hazard began during my Bachelor degree in Geology at University of Camerino (IT), where I learned the foundations of Geology and Geotechnics. After this experience I continued my studies obtaining a MSc degree with honours and a PhD in engineering geology at University of Siena, Centre for Geotechnologies (IT). During my MSc and PhD research I have applied a multidisciplinary approach to the study of natural slopes, open pits, quarries and underground mines. This has involved the integrated use of geomatic techniques (including Terrestrial Laser Scanning, Terrestrial Photogrammetry, Infrared Thermography, Total Station surveying and GPS) and the use of limit equilibrium and advanced numerical methods.
In 2013 I have completed my PhD and continued my academic career as Postdoctoral fellow (2014-2015) at Simon Fraser University (CA), where I have extended the breadth of my research experience on a range of topics:
- New approaches for the analysis and assessment of landslide risk to pipelines using airborne LiDAR, InSAR and GIS;
- DFN, rockfalls/runout and numerical analyses (DEM/FEM) for the study of natural and engineered slopes.
- Application of the new full waveform terrestrial LiDAR technology and UAV data in the analysis and monitoring of engineered and natural slopes;
After one year and half of Postdoc, in 2015 I have been hired by the University of Exeter, Camborne School of Mines (UK), as Lecturer in Mining and Geological Engineering. During my experience at Camborne School of Mines I had the opportunity to continue my research applying field/remote sensing techniques for characterizing landslide risk in coastal areas and engineered slopes.
Currently, I work as Lecture in Engineering Geology at University of Urbino (IT) and I am Honorary Lecturer in Mining Engineering at University of Exeter, Camborne School of Mines (UK).
My research experience has provided an opportunity to be involved and collaborate in varied research projects with universities and industry in North America, Australia, Africa and Europe.
I have obtained the Italian National Habilitation for Full professorship in 2020: Abilitazione Scientifica Nazionale (ASN). Bando D.D. 2175/2018. Idoneità ottenuta nel Settore Concorsuale 04/A3 (Geologia Applicata, Geografia Fisica E Geomorfologia) – Fascia I.
In September 2018 I have been awarded of the AEG Publication Award for 2018 - the best paper from the last four issues of Environmental & Engineering Geoscience. Award released by AEG, American Association of Enviromental and Engineering Geologist (USA) during the 61st AEG Annual Meeting / 13th IAEG Congress, September 15-23, 2018, Hyatt Regency San Francisco, San Francisco, CA. Paper: Francioni M., Stead D., Clague, J., Westin, A. 2018. Identification and analysis of large paleo-landslides at Mount Burnaby, British Columbia. Environmental & Engineering Geoscience 24 (2), 221-235.
1. Francioni, M., Stead, D., Sharma, J., Clague, J.J., Brideau, M.A. 2021. An Integrated InSAR-Borehole Inclinometer-Numerical Modeling Approach to the Assessment of a Slow-Moving Landslide. Environmental and Engineering Geoscience. https://doi.org/10.2113/EEG-D-20-00109. Rank: Q3; IF: 0.75;
2. He, L., Coggan, J., Francioni, M., Eyre, M. 2021. Maximizing Impacts of Remote Sensing Surveys in Slope Stability—A Novel Method to Incorporate Discontinuities into Machine Learning Landslide Prediction. ISPRS Int. J. Geo-Inf. 2021, 10(4), 232; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi10040232. Rank: Q1; IF: 2.2;
3. Guerriero, L., Di Martire, D., Calcaterra, D., Francioni, M. 2020. Digital image correlation of google earth images for earth’s surface displacement estimation. Remote Sensing, 2020, 12(21), pp. 1–14, 3518. Rank: Q1; IF: 4.5;
4. Francioni, M., Antonaci, F., Sciarra, N., Robiati, C., Coggan, J., Stead, D., Calamita, F. 2020. Application of unmanned aerial vehicle data and discrete fracture network models for improved rockfall simulations. Remote Sens. 2020, 12(12), 2053; https://doi.org/10.3390/rs12122053. Rank: Q1; IF: 4.5;
5. Francioni, M., Stead, D., Sciarra, N., Calamita, F. 2019. A new approach for defining Slope Mass Rating in heterogeneous sedimentary rocks using a combined remote sensing GIS approach. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment, 78(6), pp. 4253-4274. Rank: Q1; IF: 3;
6. Robiati, C., Eyre, M., Vanneschi, C., Francioni, M., Venn, A., Coggan, J.. 2019. Application of Remote Sensing Data for Evaluation of Rockfall Potential within a Quarry Slope. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, vol. 8(9), 367. Rank: Q1; IF: 2.2;
7. Francioni, M., Pace, P., Vitulli, M., Sciarra, N., Calamita, F. 2019. Distribution of joints in the hinge-line culmination of foreland-verging overturned anticlines: an example from the Montagna dei Fiori structure in Central Apennines of Italy. Geological Magazine, 156(8), 1445-1454. Rank: Q1; IF: 2.49;
8. Francioni M, Simone M, Stead D, Sciarra N, Mataloni G, Calamita F. 2019. A new fast and low-cost photogrammetry method for the engineering characterization of rock slopes. Remote Sensing, 11(11), 1267. Rank: Q1; IF: 4.5;
9. Francioni, M., Calamita, F., Coggan, J., De Nardis, A., Eyre, M., Miccadei, E., Piacentini, T., Stead, D., Sciarra, N. 2019. A Multi-Disciplinary Approach to the Study of Large Rock Avalanches Combining Remote Sensing, GIS and Field Surveys: The Case of the Scanno Landslide, Italy. Remote Sensing 11(13), 1570. Rank: Q1; IF: 4.5;
10. Francioni, M., Sciarra, N., Ghirotti, M., Borgatti, L., Salvini, R., Calamita, F. 2019. The impact of new technologies in the engineering classification of rock masses. Italian Journal of Engineering Geology and Environment (Special Issue 1), pp. 33-39
11. Vanneschi, C., Eyre, M., Burda, J., Žižka, L., Francioni, M., Coggan, J.S. 2018. Investigation of landslide failure mechanisms adjacent to lignite mining operations in North Bohemia (Czech Republic) through a limit equilibrium/finite element modelling approach. Geomorphology 320, 142-153.
12. Francioni M., Stead D., Clague, J., Westin, A. 2018. Identification and analysis of large paleo-landslides at Mount Burnaby, British Columbia. Environmental & Engineering Geoscience 24 (2), 221-235. Rank: Q3; IF: 0.8;
13. Francioni M., Coggan, J., Eyre, M., Stead D. 2018. A combined field/remote sensing approach for characterizing landslide risk in coastal areas. International Journal of Applied Earth Observations and Geoinformation. 67, 79-95. Rank: Q1; IF: 4.8;
14. Francioni M., Salvini, R., Stead D., Coggan, J.J. 2018. Improvements in the integration of remote sensing and rock slope modelling". Natural Hazards. 90, 975–1004. Rank: Q1; IF: 2.3;
15. Spreafico M. C., Cervi F., Francioni M., Stead D., Borgatti L., 2017. An investigation into the development of toppling at the edge of fractured rock plateaux using a numerical modelling approach. Geomorphology. 288, 83 - 98. Rank: Q1; IF: 3.3;
16. Vanneschi, C., Eyre, M., Francioni, M., Coggan, J. 2017. The Use of Remote Sensing Techniques for Monitoring and Characterization of Slope Instability. Procedia Engineering. 191, 150 - 157.
17. Spreafico M. C., Francioni M., Cervi F., Stead D., Bitelli G., Ghirotti M., Girelli V. A., Lucente C. C., Tini M. A., Borgatti L., 2016. Back analysis of the 2014 San Leo landslide using combined terrestrial laser scanning - 3d distinct element modelling. Rock mechanics Rock Engineering. 206, 1-17. Rank: Q1; IF: 2.9;
18. Salvini R., Vanneschi C., Riccucci S., Francioni, M., Gullì D., 2015. Application of an integrated geotechnical and topographic monitoring system in the Lorano marble quarry (Apuan Alps, Italy). Geomorphology. 241, 209-223. Rank: Q1; IF: 2.9;
19. Salvini R., Carmignani L., Francioni M., Casazza P. 2015. Elevation modelling and palaeo-environmental interpretation in the Siwa area (Egypt): Application of SAR interferometry and radargrammetry to COSMO-SkyMed imagery. Catena. 129, 46-62. Rank: Q1; IF: 2.6;
20. Francioni M., Salvini R., Stead D., Giovannini R., Riccucci S., Vanneschi C. and Gullì D. 2015. An integrated remote sensing-GIS approach for the analysis of an open pit sited in the Carrara marble district, Italy: slope stability assessment through kinematic and numerical methods. Computers and Geotechnics. 67, 46-63. Rank: Q1; IF: 1.7;
21. Salvini R., Vanneschi C., Gullì D., Forchione F., Riccucci S. and Francioni M. 2015. Integration of geotechnical and remote monitoring systems for the analysis and control of ground deformation in marble quarrying (Apuan Alps, Italy). Engineering Geology for Society and Territory - Volume 5. 183 - 187.
22. Salvini R., Riccucci S., Gullì D., Giovannini R., Vanneschi C. and Francioni M. 2015 - Geological application of UAV photogrammetry and terrestrial laser scanning in marble quarrying (Apuan Alps, Italy). Engineering Geology for Society and Territory - Volume 5: 979 - 983.
23. Francioni M., Salvini R., Stead D., Litrico S. 2014. A case study integrating remote sensing and distinct element analysis to quarry slope stability assessment in the Monte Altissimo area, Italy. Engineering Geology. 183, 290-302. Rank: Q1; IF: 1.7;
24. Salvini R., Francioni M. 2013. Geomatics for slope stability and rock fall runout analysis: a case study along the Alta Tambura road in the Apuan Alps (Tuscany, Italy). Italian Journal of Engineering Geology and environment. 5, 481-492.
25. Francioni, M., Girgenti, C., Vanneschi, C. 2013. Underground quarrying industry and terrestrial laser scanning. Rendiconti Online Societa Geologica Italiana. 24, 140-142.
26. Salvini R., Francioni M., Riccucci S., Bonciani F. and Callegari I. 2013. Photogrammetry and laser scanning for analysing slope stability and rock fall runout along the Domodossola-Iselle railway, the Italian Alps. Geomorphology, 185, 110-122. Rank: Q1; IF: 2.57;
27. Salvini R., Riccucci S., Francioni M. 2012. Topographic and geological mapping in Melka Kunture prehistoric area (Ethiopia). Journal of Maps. 8 (2), 169-175.
28. Salvini R., Francioni M., Riccucci S., Fantozzi P.L., Bonciani F. and Mancini S. 2011. Stability analysis of “Grotta delle Felci” Cliff (Capri Island, Italy): structural, engineering-geological, photogrammetric surveys and laser scanning. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment 70 (4) , pp. 549-557. Rank: Q2; IF: 0.66;
29. Firpo G., Salvini R., Francioni M. and Ranjith P.G. 2011. Use of Digital Terrestrial Photogrammetry in rocky slope stability analysis by Distinct Elements Numerical Methods. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 48 (7), pp. 1045-1054. Rank: Q1; IF: 1.27;
30. Carmignani L., Conti P., Massa G., Disperati L., Salvini R., Mancini S., Lorenzoni V., Colonna T., Guastaldi E., Trotta M., Riccucci S., Francioni M. and Martinelli L. 2010. Underground marble quarrying in the Alpi Apuane, M.te Altissimo. 85° Congresso Nazionale della Società Geologica Italiana - L'Appennino nella geologia del Mediterraneo Centrale - Pisa (IT), 6-8 September 2010.
31. Riccucci S., Salvini R., Francioni M., Machetti E. 2010. Application of distinct elements methods for rocky slope stability analysis in the Carrara Marble District (Apuan Alps). 85° Congresso Nazionale della Società Geologica Italiana - L'Appennino nella geologia del Mediterraneo Centrale - Pisa (IT), 6-8 September 2010.
32. Salvini R., Francioni M., Riccucci S. 2010. Slope stability analysis and rock fall simulation for the assessment of geological risk of a railroad line. 85° Congresso Nazionale della Società Geologica Italiana - L'Appennino nella geologia del Mediterraneo Centrale - Pisa (IT), 6-8 September 2010.
33. Salvini R., Francioni M., Riccucci S., Fantozzi P.L. 2010. Rock slope stability and runout analysis for geological risk mapping in the Marina Piccola bay (Capri Island, Italy). Book chapter - International Conference “Mountain Risks: Bringing Science to Society”. pp 249-253.